Monday, December 27, 2021

Christmas Hiking in LA

 Mary and I spent Christmas at my Mom's in Altadena. She lives at the foot of the mountains with a sweet little trail leading down into Millard Canyon just a few minutes walk from her door. 

After our drive down, Mary and I set out and soon encountered a family hiking along who had seen a bear up canyon near some cabins.

 Sure enough we saw the bear! It seemed lazy and lethargic though, so we were a little worried about it.

The next morning a storm was rolling in so I elected to get out early before it came in full force. Dense clouds rolled in and out of the canyons. Very moody.

Damp but not too wet. Not a soul around.


Fall colors lingered here and there.

I examined the spot where we saw the bear and found this.

A bit gruesome. I suppose the bear was lethargic from its big meal! I know the feeling.

More color.

We also joined our friend Saja for a hike in Griffith Park. Again, damp but not too wet. Swell views. Downtown.

Mary with Griffith Observatory on the skyline left.

Lastly I took one more foray into Millard. So much comes to life with moisture down there.

The creek was chugging along. Still crossable in spots though.

Oaks!

Oases on the edge of the megatropolis.
 

1 comment:

Bob Shattuck said...

it's over . . . come back!