Friday, April 8, 2022

Mammoth Lakes Basin

Yesterday I elected to go for a mellow tour in the Mammoth Lakes Basin. I went to bed the night before with lofty ideas, but woke up feeling more in the mood for something less committing. 

 The firm spring surfaces made for fast, efficient travel. Soon I was at Emerald Lake. Already melting out.

For whatever reason I am drawn to this part of the basin. Blue Crag.

Views northwest from the col at the head of Coldwater Creek.

I dropped off the col (left) and up into this bowl. The smooth surface was still uncooked and produced roller balls, but the rest skied well.

Decent skiing down to Skelton Lake, but the exit was a bit "messy" with a mix of supportable corn, mush, and bottomless isothermal funk.


 Gorgeous day out in the basin. Darn warm!