Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Hammil Bowl

 I hadn't been up in the Mammoth Lakes Basin since the big storm cycle over Christmas. I figured I'd head up and see what conditions are like.

 I always enjoy an easy early morning cruise over Lake Mary.

The sheltered trees along Lake Mary Ridge held nice faceted soft snow, but higher the wind had had it's ways. I continued along a high ridge with swell views of the Hammil area (left) and the TJ area (right).

I settled for a "walk with skis on" kind of outing. Entering the Hammil Bowl arena.

I donned ski crampons and switchbacked up the west edge of the bowl.

The sculpted snow on the left slope skied well and the firm windboard was ok too.

The best skiing was in the trees off Lake Mary Ridge. Fun facets for sure.

Not much to get excited about above treeline, but glad I ventured up there.
 

No comments: