Friday, January 28, 2022

Mt Tom, Southeast Canyon

Sticking to the corn theme for now, I tried my hand at a locale I have never visited before. I had eyed a southeast facing drainage on Mt Tom a few days ago. It looked like it had the right aspect and the approach looked doable.

I was able to drive up to a touch over 6,000' where the snow drifts on the road became too deep.

Nearing the mouth of the canyon looking back. At the time I thought "yeah that will go alright." It went, but not alright.

Entering the canyon, coverage and snow quality improved. This was about the last of the good skiing on the descent.

The main line up high wasn't visible on the ascent until I turned a corner at nearly 10,000' and there it was. Breathtaking.

I got up to the second shadow where the snow became firm, even icy, wall to wall and turned around. The skiing along the sunny side of run was good smooth corn.



The skiing steadily worsened on the descent. Snow that I was sure would soften did not. Frozen fins skied poorly. Snow plows and kick turns for nearly 1,500' before I threw in the towel and hiked the last half mile from here.


 Ecstasy high. Agony low.

1 comment:

Bob Shattuck said...

It's thin, but it's there, you're there! lucky you.