Monday, January 3, 2022

SoHa

South of Habeggars. SoHa. Not sure what else to call it as there are no named drainages, peaks or ridges nearby.

 A favorite. Somehow the snow is always good in there. The open glades up high are the main attraction. So is the solitude.

The views down the South Fork of Bishop Creek aren't bad either.

The first run was real nice.

So I went up for another. Spotted this sculpture on the way.


Made it up to treeline where the winds were a cranking.

 Then enjoyed a terrific run all the way out.

4 comments:

Bob Shattuck said...

My kinda terrain . . . have you ever been to, heard of the Yolla Bolly kinda up here across the street from Lassen. I wanna go there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h22f630twg

Scott E said...

Never been to the Yolla Bolly, but heard of them. Was even aware some folks skied there. Looks like some of the skiing I did in the Siskiyous when I was going to school in Arcata early 80s. Could cruise in a straight line pretty well, but couldn't turn a ski for a darn!

Rini Sugianto said...

Hi Scott. I’ve been following your blog for couple years since I started skiing. Do you mind me asking if habeggars is just east of lookout mountain, west of coals meadow? I am always interested to find an easy, chill and relatively safe ski tour day. Thanks again.

Scott E said...

Hello Rini, Habeggars is actually west of Lookout Mountain. There's a small community up Bishop Creek that used to be called Habeggars, but is now referred to as South Fork. It doesn't show up on Google Maps, but if you enter "Bishop Creek Lodge" you can find it. Park among the houses and head up the old jeep road (now a trail)on the east side of the canyon. I imagine it is still holding decent snow.