Monday, January 17, 2022

Tyee Cirque

 Earlier this week I headed up the South Fork of Bishop Creek to have a look.

The winds during the big storm redistributed the snow so that some areas are thin, or even bare, while others are remarkably filled in - like this chute. Likely quite firm but will be good to go if we ever get a refresh.

Ice and snow bridges on Bishop Creek are easy to find.

I headed up into the cirque just north of the Tyee drainage and found good snow in the open glades.

Yesterday I revisited the zone, hoping to push higher.

Ski crampons were most useful!

Down canyon views.

This southeast facing shot was warming in the sun, so I skinned over to check it out.

Most of the run consisted of softening windboard - which was still quite firm. I should have had boot crampons and an ice axe. I made it about 2/3s of the way up before turning around, finding good skiing.

Across canyon view to the Parchers slope (large open area in center) and the Brown Lake zone.

I hunted around in the upper cirque looking for good cold snow with mixed results. The wind had been just too fierce up there. I did manage to have a little fun nonetheless.


 Sweet zone!

2 comments:

Bob Shattuck said...

It "consisted" in more fun than I'm having . . .

Scott E said...

For most of the tour the skiing was consistently inconsistent.
Still fun though. Hope you have some fun this spring Bob.