Thursday, January 20, 2022

North Lake Corn

 With high winds forecast for the next couple of days I figured I'd squeeze in one more tour. For this outing I went looking for south facing corn snow above North Lake.

 Literally standing on North Lake, three options presented. I've been up the left one several times, the right line once, but have never skied the middle "S" shaped line, so I chose that one.


Wind sculpted snow and smooth ice on North Lake.

The Sierra Mountain Center runs classes out of this yurt, but I do not believe it's available for private rental. Might be worth a call if anyone is interested though. It's a cool location.

Lousy pic of the run, but it shows what conditions were like. I descended at 11:30 which seemed about right. Fun skiing top to bottom.


 I used boot crampons and a whippet for the ascent. It doesn't look steep, but angles tilted upward into the high 30 degrees.

Many of the neighboring south facing runs held smooth windboard which could be provide decent skiing too. Pretty firm though.

2 comments:

Rayn said...

I think we passed you as we were coming down from North Lake yesterday. I'm not a skier, but I follow your blog because I love your pictures!

Scott E said...

Yes Rayn that was me! Thanks for your praise.