Thursday, February 2, 2023

Cave Lake Park Skiing

 With high pressure rolling in and a lot of wind wrecked snow in the Sierra I headed out to Ely, Nevada looking for good powder skiing.

 Just 25 minutes outside of Ely is Cave Lake State Park. The park is far from the big peaks of the Schell Creek Range, but holds a lot of easily accessible glades.

As is often the case the stream crossing was the crux of the day. Almost got the skis wet here!

Lots of nice little glades on the skin up.



My destination was this nice long run. Looking down.

Looking up. This one skied quite well.

Got up to a small summit with real fine views. Looking across Spring Valley to the Snake Range with Wheeler Peak (Great Basin National Park) left.

The summit and the run from below.

Last fall I rode by and noted this peak. Thought it might be a good ski. It was!

 

Today I went back up. Nice to have a skin track in.

My first run was off the top to the northwest.

A little thin the first few turns, but good fun after that.

The view back from afar.

I still had a little energy left, so I went up and took another run in the shade to the left. Another good one. The exit through the little glades was pretty sweet too.

Total solitude, perfect weather, real nice snow. Yay!
 

No comments: