Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Corn - Sugar -Corn

 After skiing Jawbone last week I relaxed and recovered for a few days. Temps warmed, so I started thinking about corn skiing.

 Went down to Big Pine to investigate. The McMurry Meadows Road was passable until about a half mile below the meadows. Coverage past that was solid.

I ended up skiing the bowls on the right.

Strong north winds had jacked north facing and some east facing slopes.

Reached my high point on the ridge between Little Pine Creek and Birch Creek. Birch Mountain left and The Thumb back center.

Tasty terrain above.

Pleasant transition spot.

I was pleased to find decent corn and even better sun softened wind board for my descent. Corn indeed!


Sunday I hooked up with my friend Dave for some powder skiing. Only took one photo all day. We skied real nice, slightly faceted snow in the trees above this.


Yesterday I joined Ben, Ann, Lacey & Rick for another corn excursion. We elected to ski south facing slopes above North Lake.

Surveying the scene.

Heading up the towards the massive bowl east of the Paiute Crags.

Rick and Ann about to top out.

The crew relaxes a bit before the descent.

Killer views of the Sierra Crest above Lake Sabrina.

Rick drops in.

Ann enjoys the corn.

The snow was a bit more transitional here than down in Big Pine, but still skied quite well. Amazing day. Saw a small group of Ptarmigan, a Golden Eagle, and a foraging Coyote. Special day!
 

No comments: