Sunday, February 5, 2023

Ely Skiing

 Friday, gray day. From Ely I spied a small peak with a fine looking east facing bowl, but it was a long ways back so I decided to make a two day project of it.

The bowl left of center with the summit just above viewed from Ely.

 

The Forest Service road heading towards the peak was untracked. I had a long slog ahead of me! The peak is back above the grove of pines.

 

The road winds back to the location of the old Ward Mountain rope tow. Sweet little slopes.

Pretty, low angle glades along the way.

I skinned up to the top of this bowl where the snow became firm and the winds were blowing hard.

Had a good run in the bowl and down here in this serene terrain.


 Saturday, summit day! I got an early, cold start. Gorgeous morning.

Having the skin track in made for fast and efficient travel. I just zoned out and enjoyed my surroundings.

Yesterday's tracks left.

Up on the crest, the summit laid just beyond this treed bump.

Almost there.

Super views from the top. South to Ward Mountain, the high point of the Egan Range.

Southwest to the Pine Range.

Northeast to the Schell Creek Range and the town of Ely.

Southeast to the Snake Range with Wheeler Peak.

Time to ski!

Real fun run.

Great to see how much more snow is here. This year.

Last year.



 The great snowpack is a blessing and a curse. There's a lot of great ski options close to town, but the higher terrain requires very long approaches. A snowmobile would be most handy - or make it a two day project!


























No comments: