Monday, February 6, 2023

Ely II

 The forecast called for a modest winter storm, so I planned for a short tour in treed glades right outside of town. 

Sure enough the snow began falling heavily around day break. This was the view from the hotel window. About 4" fell before turning showery mid morning.

The view up Elderberry Canyon from near the trailhead. Not nearly as impressive as our Elderberry, but pretty.

I quickly attained a ridge where the traveling seemed easiest.

After a short bit on the ridge I came to an old mining road going straight up.


As I got higher other mining roads crossed the slopes every couple hundred feet or so. Really annoying as they were steep on the high and low sides with a deep depression in between.

Here you can see the plethora of old roads.


I reached a small summit with cool views then decided to just follow the ridge back down as the glades were interrupted by the mining roads and were fairly short anyhow.


 The storm cleared rather quickly for my descent which was pretty darn fun. Kinda like skiing at a ski area with narrow trails.



 Was hoping for better skiing, but all in all a good day.

No comments: