Sunday, February 12, 2023

North End of Wheeler Crest

 I didn't have much of a plan this morning. Thought about heading up to Bishop Creek, but elected to go to a zone that was sure to be quiet and might even hold some decent snow.

 The north end of Wheeler Crest provides a whole host of nice chutes. Witcher Bowl is the big canyon on the left, then there are ten or so runs to the right. This is a pic from last year. There's much more snow this year thankfully. Today I skied the ill defined line just to the left of the chute with the sun splashes.


 Unlike last year, I started at Sky Meadows. Lots of attractive lines here too although they all looked pretty wind hammered.

This area is super quiet owing to the long approach. It took me roughly an hour and half to get to the bottom of the run. Last year I skied the bigger line on the right and today I did the one of the left.

The big run from the bottom.

Fine granite on the way up.

I was a bit discouraged on the skin up as much of the snow was wind affected, but the skinning wasn't too bad so I kept plugging along.

High in the chute looking up.

Looking down.

Sweet scenery on the climb.

Treed alley near the top.

I found a nice sunny spot here to transition and snack. Decent views too looking down Witcher to the Lower Rock Creek gorge and the Owens Valley.

North to the Glass Mountains (left).

I was pleasantly surprised to find good skiing top to bottom although I did switch to the bigger chute near the bottom to take advantage of better snow conditions there. I was able to open it up and cruise through here.

The view up on my egress. Witcher left. My high point was the timbered ridge right of center.


 Glad I got adventurous today. Real nice tour.

No comments: