Monday, February 6, 2023

Schell Creek Range

 When I arrived in Ely I decided the skiing out of Duck Creek Valley would be tough owing to long approaches on snowed in roads, but I rechecked the maps last night and noticed the terrain above Snake Creek wasn't too far from the main road.

Fortunately I found a plowed road just south of Snake Creek that got me over a mile in. The tour started on gentle gladed slopes. The forest here had been chained or mowed presumably for cattle grazing.

 

A little higher I found an old road along the ridge that made for fast travel. Fortuitous since the forest was quite dense and would have been tedious to navigate without the road.

Pretty Mahogany groves. Apparently the road had not been used in some time as trees had grown over the road in several spots.

At last some fine looking ski terrain appeared.

The weather was constantly changing with everything from calm and sun to cloudy and snowing.

Up in the glades the lighting was fantastic.


The best snow was along the treeline. About of foot of nice light powder in there.

Great terrain above up to the crest of the Schell Creek Range. Someday!

It was cold and windy up here, so I ducked into the forest to transition. Fine timber.


 Poor light. Great skiing.

Last day of the trip and it was a good one!

No comments: