Friday, February 10, 2023

McGee

 Mary and I went skiing at Mammoth yesterday. Nice winter snow on higher north slopes and fun spring snow on sunny slopes. No crowds at all. On the way home we saw a lot of tracks on McGee, but a few untracked lines that looked good too so I decided to give it a whirl. 

Despite a late mid morning start it was still very cold at the bottom. Probably single digits, but after climbing just a couple of hundred feet I broke through the inversion and it was warm.

 Looking up to the higher slopes.


I followed a party of three who had buffed out the skin tack. Easy cruising for me.

Looking down the run.

Nice spot to transition and enjoy the views. Mammoth Airport on the left.

Convict Creek left, McGee Creek right then the confluence flowing into the great white expanse of frozen Crowley Lake.

Looking up the run. This textured snow skied real well.

Lower down the snow was more wind affected, so I traversed over to this nice bowl.

The last turns of the tour. Super soft at the bottom where the air stayed cold beneath the inversion.


The view up from near SNARL. From mid mountain I skied the left of the of the two bowls the traversed left and again skied the left of the two runs there.

Nice to get back into the swing of the Eastside things!

No comments: