Thursday, February 29, 2024

Prestorm Ely Skiing

 Took a chance Tuesday on a zone I had only studied on maps. Looked like good terrain. Access ok, but once I got out there the roads that existed on the maps were no longer there! I resorted to Plan B, these good looking slopes just south.

I was able to skin up a road for ten minutes before dead ending at an extremely thick stand of Pinion-Juniper. No go! Plan C was this burn area.

Not exactly scenic, but travel was easy.


Made a few turns in here. Pretty low elevation so there was a melt/freeze crust on just about every aspect.

Oh well. Nice to get out.


Today I headed back over to the Schell Creek Range. I'd had my eye on this zone since two years ago on a ski trip. The goal was one of these two avalanche chutes. The more attractive is the one on the right, but high winds up high were actively building big cornices above it, so I shot for the one of the left.

Heading up out of the canyon to the base of the chute.

Pleasant skinning. Pleasant views too!

Pretty wind affected on the right, but I found decent skiing on the left. Above here all the snow was wind wracked, so I called it good.

Better down here although you had to mind the aspect due to sun crust.

Looking back on the drive out. Shoulders and the the two chutes.

Bonus sighting of a sage grouse.


 The forecast winds never materialized thankfully. Good tour!

No comments: